blogger

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Preschool Storytime: Go Away, Big Green Monster

Who doesn't love adorably cute but supposedly scary monsters? This girl sure does! And the classic Go Away, Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley does not disappoint. If you're not familiar, well... You should be. You might remember me talking about Ed Emberley in my Choo! Choo! storytime post, he is the guru of fingerprint art and he inspired our thumbprint trains. Check out some of his other (incredibly cool) books.

 I read the original version of the story while using a felt manipulative I created. All of the pieces are removable so as the monster is appearing and disappearing, the little felt monster can follow along.
Next, we read Nighty Night, Little Green Monster, how cute is he!!! The kids love the contrast between the scary monster and the cute baby monster.
For our project, I was so in love with Ms. Jessi's "squash painting" monsters, that I knew I had to try and re-create them. We used white card stock and then squeezed a small amount of each color on one side, "squashed" it closed, "smooshed" it around and when we opened it back up, we had monsters! I ended up adding the eyes, nose, mouth and teeth with construction paper after they dried. I would have loved to have the kids do this, but there just simply wasn't enough time.
These are a few of my favorites... check out the chins on those guys!

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs: Cute Blog Designs